The Chemex is an elegant solution to Pour-over coffee, The Museum of Modern Art displayed it as one of the best designed products of 1943. They are even enjoyed in the White House, with a special run commissioned by President Obama. It comes in a 3 and 6 cup variety, perfect for sharing. It produces a very clean taste, almost like tea and works best with high quality coffees, such as those typical found in single origins.
xx Please note that paper filters are sold separately xx
So, How does one make Chemex coffee?
- Boil your kitchen kettle
- Grab your paper filters and follow the directions to fold them to make a filter (just like easy origami) and place the filter into the Chemex
- Pour 18g of coarsely ground coffee into the filter
- Pour in 250g of water over the course of a few minutes, allowing the water to permeate through
- Remove paper and grounds from the Chemex and discard
- Pour into your favourite cup and enjoy
That's all there is to it. Chemex makes a great addition to any kitchen and many people even use them in place of espresso machines. Think of it like a french press, but with a cleaner, brighter taste.